Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rosmah: I am not the hidden hand behind Najib's decision-making


KUALA LUMPUR: Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, wife of the prime minister, has dismissed a talk that she is the hidden hand behind Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s decision-making process.

“I have not heard about it, but it is not something that I am sensitive about as it is not true. Maybe I am a bit vocal or gregarious... I like to have friends, unlike Datuk Najib, who is a bit reserved.

“But it does not mean that just because Datuk Najib is a reserved person, I am making the decisions... I am the type who voices my dissatisfaction, but once said, it is done. I do not harbour ill feelings,” she said in an interview on Hello Malaysia over BernamaTV at Wisma Bernama here on Friday.

Rosmah said that although Najib was not a man of many words, he should not be underestimated.

“I always tell others not to underestimate Datuk Najib. He is not easily angered but do not provoke him. When he becomes angry, there is no forgiveness for you.

“Datuk does not say much but he registers what is happening around him. If I make a mistake, he will reprimand me. If he ever starts to stomp his feet, I will shudder.

“What is important is that we are close to each other. We can talk things over. We laugh and share jokes. It is important that a leader should not become too stressed.

“So, when he comes home, we watch tv together, we go out to dinner, together. In short, we are best friends,” she said.

Rosmah said that she looked after her husband’s needs such as food, clothes and health.

“When he is at home, I do not go out unless I have prior engagements. I also ensure that Datuk Najib stays fit by exercising at the gym.

“I try to ensure that he is not troubled by having to haggle over petty matters as his thoughts should be on the people and the country,” she added.

On another issue, Rosmah advised parents to get back to basics by passing on to their children the tradition of being respectful and thankful.

Parents should not leave the responsibility of teaching their children entirely to schools, she added.

"I am taking a serious view on this matter. Why do youths nowadays fail to say thank you, do not feel they are indebted or do not have respect for others?

"We need to have an awareness campaign, a programme to teach children to respect others. We may have to return to the tradition of mothers pinching us if we did not say 'thank you'.

"Nowadays, mothers no longer pinch their children. When their children make mistakes, they are not reprimanded," she said.

On the PERMATA Pintar programme, she said that about 400 smart children attended a summer camp held at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia recently.

"Under the PERMATA Seni programme, a children's concert involving an orchestra, a choir and traditional performances will be held at the end of the year," she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment